Career Affiliate membership is open to anyone developing a career using their language skills in a professional context, or language practitioners who do not yet meet the entry criteria to be admitted as an Associate.
You can also apply as a Career Affiliate if your languages are of the standard to be a valuable professional tool, but are not the main focus of your work.
Who can join?
You can apply to become Career Affiliate if you are a bilingual or multilingual professional who meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Have a minimum of two years’ recent work experience using languages professionally as part of another role
- Have a language degree but no current working experience
- Hold a lower-level qualification (such as a Level 3 community interpreting qualification or the CIOLQ Certificate in Bilingual Skills (CBS) or equivalent qualification) and have two years' working experience using your languages.
As an applicant you will need to provide a CV that demonstrates that you match the above criteria along with two referees who can confirm the quality of your work in your languages.
- Demonstrates your professional commitment as a linguist to clients and employers; Career Affiliate is your first step to becoming a Chartered Linguist
- Builds your professional network and, if freelance, builds your profile and brand
- Training opportunities through CIOL's workshops and webinars, and access to the CIOL webinar library
- Take advantage of a wide range of membership benefits including the CIOL Advantage package and discounts on training workshops
- Free download of The Linguist, CIOL's professional journal
- Monthly members' update including CIOL enews, events and updates
Continuing Professional Development: Career Affiliates can participate in a range of sector specific CPD events offered by CIOL and its professional divisions.
Career Affiliates can join one or more of CIOL's professional divisions – Translating, Interpreting or BPG (Business, Professions and Government) which provide unique online networking events and online forums.
What does it cost?
There is a one-off non-refundable £30.00 assessment fee which must be paid as part of your application. The annual membership fee, payable once your membership has been confirmed is £100.00.
When can I join?
You can apply to join at any time of year. CIOL operates a rolling membership and your membership will begin on the day your application is successful and will be valid for a full calendar year.
What do I need?
Read the full admissions criteria via the Quick Links to the right of this page to determine which grade of membership is the most suitable for you. Then gather the evidence. You will need:
- Your CV
- Brief summary of your work experience to date using your languages professionally
Please read the guidance notes for applicants in full before commencing your online application.
Once your online application has been received, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement. CIOL will then assess the evidence provided and will endeavour to confirm your admission to membership within 30 working days.
Please take a look at our FAQs in the first instance.
For further information on how to apply and/or admissions criteria, please contact the membership team.