Career Affiliate is open to anyone considering a career using their foreign language skills in a professional context, or language practitioners who do not yet meet the entry criteria to be admitted as an Associate.
You can also apply if your foreign-language skill is a valuable professional tool but is not the main focus of your work.
Who can join?
Applicants for Career Affiliate will normally be linguists with at least one of the following:
- less than one year's work experience using their language(s) professionally, who hold a degree or post graduate qualification in their non-native language or specialist language qualification
- who do not hold a degree or post graduate language or specialist language qualification but who do have up to three years' work experience using their languages professionally
- who do not hold a degree or post graduate language or specialist qualification but who do hold a lower level qualification such as a community interpreting qualification and / or the CIOLQ Certificate in Bilingual Skills (CBS)
- who use their foreign-language skills as a professional tool but using a foreign language is not necessarily the main focus of their work
- Demonstrates your professional commitment as a linguist to clients and employers; Career Affiliate is your first step to becoming a Chartered Linguist
- Builds your professional network and, if freelance, builds your profile and brand
- Competitive rates for Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Ask questions in the forums and get advice from fellow linguists
- Download member-only publications, such as the Translator's Pack, Interpreter's Pack and Rates & Salaries Survey
- Raise your profile by contributing to discussions
- Take advantage of a wide range of membership benefits including the CIOL Advantage package and discounts on training workshops.
- A free copy of The Linguist, CIOL's professional journal issued six times a year
- Monthly members' update including Institute news, event and updates
Continuing Professional Development; Career Affiliates can participate in a range of sector specific CPD events offered by CIOL and its professional divisions. Career Affiliates can also access a range of CPD webinars through CIOL partner organisation eCPD Webinars, benefitting from a special member discount.
Career Affiliates can join one or more of CIOL's professional divisions – Translating, Interpreting or BPG (Business, Professions and Government) which provide unique face-to-face networking events and online forums.
What does it cost?
There is a one-off non-refundable £25.00 assessment fee which must be paid as part of your application. The annual membership fee, payable once your membership has been confirmed is £87.00.
When can I join?
You can apply to join at any time of year. CIOL operates a rolling membership and your membership will begin on the day your application is successful and will be valid for a full calendar year.
What do I do next?
Read the full admissions criteria to determine which grade of membership is the most suitable for you. Then gather the evidence. You will need:
- Your CV
- Brief summary of your work experience to date using your languages professionally
Please read the guidance notes for applicants in full before commencing your online application.
Once your online application has been received, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement. CIOL will then assess the evidence provided and will endeavour to confirm your admission to membership within 30 working days.
Please take a look at our FAQs in the first instance.
For further information on how to apply and/or admissions criteria, please contact the membership team.