Student Affiliate is the first step on your career ladder to becoming a Chartered Linguist.
Student Affiliate membership is open to all language undergraduate and postgraduate students studying in the UK and overseas. Applicants will normally be working towards achieving:
- a degree in a foreign language
- a joint honours degree which includes a foreign language
- a post-graduate programme in a foreign language or specialism such as translation or interpreting
Becoming a Student Affiliate demonstrates that you are on the pathway to becoming a professional member and a Chartered Linguist, helping to improve your career prospects.
Continuing Professional Development
Membership will confirm your commitment to CPD, quality and standards, providing you with a valuable competitive edge when seeking employment or starting your career as a freelance linguist.
You can join any of three professional divisions helping you to build your own network and giving you the opportunity to interact with practising linguists.
Access to online forums; a source of advice from fellow Student Affiliates and practising linguists.
Raise your profile by contributing to discussions and find out more about your future career options as a linguist.
Discounts and savings
CIOL members can gain access to a wide range of money saving benefits including:
• Lifestyle (discounts on cinema tickets, gym memberships and family days out etc)
• Motoring (offers on new cars, breakdown cover and car insurance etc)
• Shopping (deals on mobile phones, apple products, cashback on retail purchases etc)
• Travel (discounts on package holidays, short breaks, worldwide attractions and currency exchange etc)
• Insurance (offers on home, travel, life, health etc)
• Business (deals on IT training, CV and interview coaching, emergency childcare etc)
Student members may attend CIOL's webinars, and have access to a range of webinars in the members' webinar library.
A free digital copy of CIOL's professional journal The Linguist.
What does it cost?
Student Affiliate membership of CIOL is free.
When can I join?
You may apply to join at any time. Your membership will be active until your anticipated course completion date. On successful completion of your course you can simply upgrade to Affiliate, the next step on your route to becoming a Chartered Linguist.
What do I do next?
You will need written confirmation of course enrolment from your course provider to upload as part of your application. This should be on official letterhead and include the course title and the dates when the course begins and ends. It can be an image, PDF or Word file. You will also need to provide your personal email address and be aware of the Terms and Conditions of membership which can be found in the Admissions Criteria via the link under Quick Links on the right-hand column of this page.
For further information on how to apply and/or admissions criteria, please contact the membership team.