Wherever you are in your career as a language professional – an undergraduate studying a language at university or an experienced, qualified translator, interpreter, teacher, or using your languages in another professional capacity – we have a grade of membership to suit you. Through membership CIOL provides you with a pathway to support your career ambitions, your professional development, and is your route to chartership.
We aim to make the online application process as straightforward and smooth as possible but please contact the membership team if you need help or advice.
Step 1 – Find your grade
Step 2 – Apply online
Complete the online form for the grade you wish to apply for.
- Student Affiliate
- IoLET Affiliate
- Career Affiliate
- Associate, Member, Fellow (includes Chartered Linguist option)
If you work in education, follow this link for more information.
For Associate, Member and Fellow applications please make sure you have all the evidence required, including details of your referees, before completing your application.
- If you are seeking Chartered status alongside your Member or Fellow application, please remember to include evidence of your CPD and a reflective statement setting out your commitment to maintaining, developing and enhancing your linguistic excellence and upholding the professional standards of the profession.
Step 3 – Payment
- Student Affiliate membership is free
- IoLET Affiliate applications must be accompanied by the annual membership fee of £26.00 payable as part of the online application form
- Career Affiliate, Associate, Member and Fellow applications must be accompanied by an assessment fee of £25.00, payable as part of the online application form
If you're also seeking chartership alongside your Member or Fellow application, please remember to include evidence of your CPD and a reflective statement.
Receipt of your application will be acknowledged and assessment will begin.
Please do not submit your application unless you have all the evidence required including details of your referees (Associate, Member, Fellow applications only).
We aim to advise you of the outcome within six weeks of submission.