This event will introduce you to some useful technology and terminology tools that are available to translators. The event will run for two hours. The first session will be an introduction to using corpora to assist with translation decisions and specialised terminology. The second part will look at some time-saving and organisational tools, as well as speech recognition software, including a brief demo of each tool. There will be a Q&A session after each talk.
10:00: An introduction to corpora
Speaker – Ana Frankenberg-Garcia
- What exactly is a corpus?
- What can translators gain from using corpora?
- What types of corpora can help translators?
- In what ways can corpus queries help in a translation?
- How to begin using corpora
11:00: Low-cost tech to improve the translation workflow
Speaker – Richard Lackey
- IntelliWebSearch - a tool to quickly perform web searches and to perform lookups in online and offline resources
- PerfectIt - a tool to perform style checks on translated files
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking - speech recognition software
- AutoHotkey - a tool to write simple scripts that can aid in speeding up repetitive translation and admin tasks