The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) is the UK’s Royal Chartered professional membership body for language professionals. CIOL has over 5,000 professional members and welcomes educator members as well as offering free membership to language students. Educator members will normally have one or more of the following qualifications:
- A degree or postgraduate qualification in your non-native language(s) or professional language qualifications such as the Diploma or Certificate in Translation
- A joint honours degree which includes a language e.g. Business and/with German
- Other language certificates diplomas at degree and postgraduate level will be considered if they are broadly equivalent to C1 levels in the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
Your level of membership depends also on your experience as an educator. The requirements for Associate and Member are set out below whilst experienced educators may also be eligible for Fellowship.
Assessment fee £25
Annual membership fee £131
Applicants for full Member grade will normally be established, practising educators with at least three years' of current full-time* language teaching experience. 5 years of part-time** experience teaching or using your language skills in education over a longer period may also be acceptable.
Assessment fee £25
Annual membership fee £143
CIOL Membership benefits
- Formal recognition as a professional linguist
- Use of designatory letters 'ACIL' or 'MCIL'
- Directory listing in Find-a-Linguist
- Mentoring scheme
- Full digital access to The Linguist magazine
- Free access to CPD library
- Member check facility
- Opportunities to be part of CIOL's governance
- Member logo and unique URL to your profile
- Discounts on CIOL conference, training and development
- Discounts on software and books, including 10% discount on books from the European Bookshop
- CPD logging system
- CIOL Advantage - savings on lifestyle, shopping, travel and more
Associate – ACIL (Education Pathway)
If you do not meet the criteria above (for example you do not hold a requisite qualification) but you have at least three years' work experience using your foreign language skills, then we will be able to treat your application as a special consideration case. References will be required to assist with the assessment of your application.
Member – MCIL (Education Pathway)
If you do not meet the criteria above (for example you do not hold on of the requisite qualifications), but you have at least five years' work experience of teaching languages teaching English to speakers of other languages or using your foreign language skills in an education context, then we may be able to treat your application as a special consideration case.
*CIOL considers full time work a minimum of 120 days per year
**Part-time should be at least 50 days per year or should go through as a special case