With the growing feedback from PSI colleagues about the increasing requirement to interpret remotely during this current crisis, the Interpreting Division team felt it important to put together an event to explore the various concerns. It was clear that it was important to:
- Gain a better understanding of the existing challenges and aspects of remote interpreting in the PSI setting
- Share the logistical, practical and qualitative concerns that increasing use of remote PSI interpreting brings with it for both service providers and PSIs
- Consider appropriate additional training
- Draw up mutually agreed guidelines and protocols for both service providers and interpreter
- Recognise any new opportunities
We are delighted to announce the following speakers:
- Judiciary: Tan Ikram, Deputy Senior District Judge (Deputy Chief Magistrate) of England and Wales
- Police Force: Mark Lewis, National Police Contract Manager
- The Law Society: Stuart Nolan, Chair, Criminal Law Committee
- Crown Commercial Services: John Devery, Commercial Agreement Manager
- Ministry of Justice: Claire Medhurst, Deputy Director, HMCTS Contracted Service Division and Senior Business Owner of the MoJ’s Language Services contracts
- Transform Justice and University of Oxford: Penelope Gibbs, Director of Transform Justice, former magistrate and Research Associate at the Centre for Criminology at the University of Oxford.
This online event is open to all Public Service Interpreters (PSIs) and FREE for both CIOL members and non-members.