The Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) is the UK’s Royal Chartered professional membership body for language professionals. CIOL has over 7,000 members and welcomes educator members, as well as offering free membership to language students.
To become an Associate member (ACIL), you will need to evidence one year's work experience or two years part-time experience of language teaching, teaching English to speakers of other languages or using your foreign language skills in an education context.
Applicants for full Member grade will normally be established, practising educators with at least three years' of current full-time* language teaching experience. 5 years of part-time** experience teaching or using your language skills in education over a longer period may also be acceptable.
Special consideration: Associate – ACIL (Education Pathway)
If you do not meet the above criteria (for example you do not hold a requisite qualification) but you have at least three years' work experience using your foreign language skills, then we will be able to treat your application as a special consideration case. References will be required to assist with the assessment of your application.
Special consideration: Member – MCIL (Education Pathway)
If you do not meet the criteria (for example you do not hold on of the requisite qualifications), but you have at least five years' work experience of teaching languages teaching English to speakers of other languages or using your foreign language skills in an education context, then we may be able to treat your application as a special consideration case.
*CIOL considers full time work a minimum of 120 days per year
**Part-time should be at least 50 days per year or should go through as a special case
A selection of member benefits
- Formal recognition as a professional linguist
- Use of designatory letters 'ACIL' or 'MCIL'
- Directory listing in Find-a-Linguist
- Mentoring scheme
- Full digital access to The Linguist magazine
- Free access to CPD library
- Member check facility
- Opportunities to be part of CIOL's governance
- Member logo and unique URL to your profile
- Discounts on CIOL conference, training and development
- Discounts on software and books, including 10% discount on books from the European Bookshop
- CPD logging system
- CIOL Advantage - savings on lifestyle, shopping, travel and more