During the examination
Proof of identity
In order to register for an examination at an examination centre, all candidates must produce valid photo ID (passport, driving licence etc) in addition to their admission notification. Candidates for all written examinations must place their identification on their desk for the duration of the examination in order that it may be inspected by the examinations officer or invigilator.
Candidates must allow adequate travelling time to travel to the examination centre to allow for any unexpected delays to their journeys caused by transport problems or adverse weather conditions. There is a maximum fifteen minute allowance for candidates to be admitted into the examination after the start time; candidates arriving more than fifteen minutes late will not be allowed to sit written examinations nor will any refund of examination fees be given. Candidates who arrive whilst an examination is in progress will not be granted extra time. Candidates should be aware that, given the nature of oral examining, it is possible that delays may occur in the timetable. CIOL Qualifications strongly recommends that this is taken into account when making travel arrangements to and from the examination centre. Additional time should always be factored in.
Candidates must check at the start of the examination that they have been given the correct examination paper. Any mistakes must be brought to the attention of the examination officer/chief invigilator immediately. Candidates must not attempt a unit that is in the incorrect language or pathway. Candidates must check that they have been given the correct unit and should only attempt the unit they have entered for.
Candidates are instructed to bring their own writing equipment and the examination centre will provide writing paper. All answers must be written in blue or black ink only not pencil which is only allowed for rough work. Candidates are required to write on alternate lines only.
IT facilities are not available at the IoLET Open Centre, London. Candidates choosing to use IT facilities are reminded that this is an arrangement made between the candidate and the Centre in which CIOL Qualifications has no involvement and for which it accepts no liability.
Candidates are not allowed to bring any IT equipment (including tablets, laptops, desktops, keyboards etc) to CIOL Qualifications examinations. The use of electronic dictionaries is not allowed under any circumstances. Where computer facilities are offered by an examination centre, candidates are able to use them on the following grounds only:
- That this is acceptable under the conditions of the syllabus.
- That the computer does not contain any software, for example a translation programme, which is not allowed under the conditions of the syllabus. In addition, all access to internet facilities is forbidden.
- That the facilities are available at the examination centre where they wish to sit the examination.
- That the use of such facilities will in no way disturb other candidates.
- That the candidate accepts full responsibility for ensuring that the facilities are in working order.
- That the candidate accepts full responsibility for loss of examination work due to malfunction of the facilities and that no extra time will be given as a result of a malfunction at any time during the examination period.
- That the candidate can only present a paper copy of the script for marking.
- Scripts presented in electronic format will not be accepted.
- That the time allowed for printing of the examination script is included in the time allowed by CIOL Qualifications for the examination. No extra time will be given for printing of answers.
- Where examination centres are not able to provide language-specific software for candidates, the candidate is responsible for manually adding any accents/diacritics as required on the printed scripts. No extra time will be given for this.
- That the word processed script should contain double-line spaced text with appropriate left and right hand margins and conform to any other requirements of the examination. Each page should additionally indicate the candidate number.
- Candidates cannot remove copies of the examination script (either electronic or paper copies) from the examination room. Completed scripts must be deleted at the conclusion of the exam.
- That the candidate accepts full responsibility for checking that the script handed to the invigilator is his/her own complete work.