Brexit information update

1. The UK government's website has guidance on selling services to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein from 1 January 2021 (last updated October 2019) has headings on:

  • Trade regulations
  • VAT on sales of digital services
  • Establishing and structuring your business
  • Business travel and entry requirements
  • Social security payments for employees
  • Recognition of professional qualifications
  • Data transfer and GDPR

It advises that UK businesses and services will need to check the national regulations of the relevant country:

There is also a checklist which aims to provide more targeted information (depending on whether you are a UK citizen, where you are based, and the type of business):

Working with Switzerland after the Brexit transition (Update January 2021)

2. British in Europe have been keeping in close touch with developments on Brexit and have published a number of useful guides to the Withdrawal Agreement, all of which have been reviewed by lawyers:

3. The Association of Translation Companies has a Brexit round up:

Key issues for translators and interpreters

a. Recognition of qualifications

British in Europe’s Guide no 4 to the Withdrawal Agreement covers working, professional rights and qualifications for UK nationals in EU countries:

Translation and interpretation are regulated professions in some countries. UK nationals will need to apply for their qualification to be recognised before the end of the transition period to continue to deliver services to these countries.

b. Data Protection

The UK government has stated that the GDPR will continue to be part of UK law and the UK is seeking an ‘adequacy decision’ from the EU to allow transfers of personal data to continue under the present rules. Meanwhile, the UK Information Commissioner recommends the use of standard contract clauses to allow personal data to be transferred to and from the UK after 31 December.

c. Travel for work

The UK government website advises that all travellers need to check passports, obtain health insurance and check that they have the right driving documents. There is additional advice for business travellers.

​With thanks to CIOL members Jo Durning, Emma Gledhill and Zoe Adams Green for researching and compiling this information.

4. Government updates

Please note: This article doesn’t constitute formal advice and everyone should take professional advice on their own situation.